Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Living "Everyday" Like its Your Last



Everyday by David Levithan is a story of the strength of love and how it can never be lost no matter how impossible it may seem. It teaches us about the disgusting nature of humans to pass judgments based upon exterior characteristics. It shows the ugliest parts of our societies and the awful way that it treats people who are different.

“I wake up thinking of yesterday. The joy is in remembering; the pain is in knowing it was yesterday.” I sat on my couch with the window light streaming in, saying those words over and over again in my mind and begin to realize subtle genius behind them. This beautiful quote reminds me why this is my favorite book. David Levithan has so many great ideas that are communicated through an attention-grabbing story of a magical being named A who switches body’s everyday. As I listed to the faint whistling noise coming from a small crack in my window I think about what this quote really means. Sure Mr. Levithan could be talking about how A misses the body that he or she was in the day before, but this can also connect to the everyday life of someone who doesn’t have magical powers. To me this quote means that you should remember the great things that happen to you and not focus on the fact that they are in the past. We are encouraged to live in the present and not waste their lives on thinking of things that hold us back from enjoying our lives.

Just the fact that these two sentences can make me think so much about my own life just proves that this is a truly inspiring novel. Levithan creates a world where even though magic exists the horrors of the world still haunt the characters and that is what makes me want to change the way I live my life. That is the reason I will never forget this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment