Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Love in Music


About 2 years ago I became obsessed with music. I would sit in my room for hours on end listening to albums on repeat. So far I’ve gathered a selection of bands that I follow religiously. The killers, Blur, The passengers, The strokes, The vaccines, and the Decembrists. Over the years I have noticed that a lot of these songs are about love. I have always wondered why but after closely reading a majority of the lyrics I start to understand. These songs are very different yet they are all about the love. I now realize that the way that these songs are so different shows that no body loves the same way.

            Some of these songs say that love is everlasting while some say that it is mortal. Some say it is idealistic and a distraction from the horrors of the world. In these songs we can tell how the artist views love by the tone of the song or the words he or she used to describe it. The song “holes” by the passengers features a mother with many children and a husband that walked out on her. She says that it makes her sad to think about him, but she also has to move on with life and her sadness is holding her back from doing that. In her mind, love is and inconvenience because it makes her unable to focus on caring for her children. Word choice in the song “Red Right Ankle” shows that the artist puts love on a pedestal. He uses words like “softly, whispered, safe, sweet, and tenderly.” The songwriter sees love as untouchable perfection that is fragile and pure. In his mind love is glorified.

            Both of these songs see love very differently, which can teach us about our own lives. Not only can these songs teach us about love but also different emotions. After closely reading these lyrics I can take away that everyone has different ways of feeling emotions. Weather it be joy, pride, rage, or shame everyone has a different way o showing and feeling emotions. Everyone has their own definit

No comments:

Post a Comment